Sunday, July 31, 2011

Heartfelt Confessions

Roughly six months ago, I discovered that the bigger grocery store here in town will deliver your groceries to your door if you spend more than 10,000 won. I also discovered that the delivery boy is a cheerful, good-looking man. After that most welcome of revelations, I began buying water, juice, and milk (i.e. the heavy stuffy) at that store and having them delivered. My usual practice is to bike to the store, buy my groceries, dump them in a box, write my address on said box, and then hustle back to the apartment before the delivery guy arrives. That way, I can be there to open the door and gush about how thankful I am that he delivered them for me.
Today, I was in a good mood. I had spoken with Lil' Sis on Skype, and PJ was scheduled to come down from Incheon to visit this weekend. After school, I pedaled over to the grocery store, bought two cases of water, lemonade, apple juice, mango juice, grape juice, and milk. I boxed them up and whistled my way back to the apartment. I propped the front door open, as it was terribly hot, and set about making dinner. I pulled a carrot and a cucumber out of the fridge and began cutting them into sticks and circles, respectively.
A few minutes later, I heard the thump, thump of purposeful footsteps and looked up to see the delivery man at my door.
I smiled. "Annyeonghaseyo!" I said, putting down the knife and wiping my hands on a towel.
He smiled back (swoon!) and put the case of water and box of juices on the floor. Then he turned and lifted the second case of water off his dolly.
"Kamsahamnida!" I beamed.
He nodded, still grinning. "Mashiketuseyo," he said ("Enjoy your meal.")
"Kamsahamnida!" I said again. "Annyeonghikaseyo!"
"Annyeonghikeseyo," he said back, turned and exited.
I listened to the thump, thump of his footsteps and the creak of the dolly wheels getting softer as he walked down the hall.
"You're beautiful!" I called. "I love you!"
The footsteps stopped and then returned at a much quicker pace.
He appeared in my open doorway. "Mwoyo?" ("What?")
"Uh . . ." My face was bright red from a sunburn, but I knew I was blushing. "Thank you? Kamsahamnida?"
He laughed and I knew I wasn't going to get out of it that easily.
"Sarang e?" he teased. "Sarang e?" ("Love?  Love?")
"Yes," I admitted.
Even though I was so humiliated, I thought my head would burst into flames, I laughed. I couldn't help it. We both stood there laughing and smiling like idiots.
"Okay, okay," I said, flapping my hands at him. "You can go now. Thank you. Bye. Kamsahamnida."
"Goodbye," he said in English and turned. With one last amused look over his shoulder, he left.
I heard him laughing all the way to the elevator.

2 comments:

  1. Another "While You Were Sleeping" fan! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if you could bring that one home with you.

    ReplyDelete