Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cooking for Poochie and Little Doggy Rockstar

 Because of my love of large, fluffy things, Poochie has been declared overweight by her Veterinarian. And as such, she has been on a diet since November. For the first couple days, she was upset that her snacks consisted of baby carrots, apples, and ice cubes. Gradually, she grew to accept and even enjoy these healthy snacks.
But she knew with the special canine knowing that dogs know that she had a whole bag of small, multi-colored bone-shaped cookies in the pantry. Over the years, she has conditioned me to open the pantry door when she stands there and scratch at it. She really is very smart. But so am I! After a few weeks of cringing and apologizing to her that I couldn't give her snacks for just being cuddly and adorable (I mean, come on, at least fold the laundry or shovel the walk - that's worth a cookie), I finally got rid of the whole bag.
 Now it's not there to tempt me. I mean her.
So far, she has lost three whole pounds. Yay! Let's celebrate with a REAL dog snack! Wait, I just got rid of the whole bag!
Lady K to the rescue!
For Christmas, Lady K gave Lil' Sis a doggy treat cookbook. So, this morning, I pulled it out and we got cookin'.
After a few minutes of rummaging through the house (I will be the first to admit that organic and all-natural are not commonly  used when I go grocery shopping), I found we had the ingredients for the "Ohm my these are good" cookies.
Poochie, always very interested when I begin cooking, remained close at hand as I measured, mixed, and rolled the pumpkin-y goodness into balls and placed them on the cookie sheet. I don't have oat flour, so I dumped rolled oats into the blender and blended that up. I don't have brown rice flour, but by golly, white rice flour is an acceptable substitute, right? (Make it easy on me and just agree.)
Little Doggy Rockstar, who wasn't entirely sure what was going on, but was going to stay just in case, sat in the kitchen and watched for anything that dropped.
Finally, after twenty five excruciating minutes, the cookies came out of the oven. I am proud to say that they turned out rather well. Little Doggy Rockstar gives them two fuzzy paws way way up.

The only complaint Poochie has is that I only gave her one.
I'm still trying to resist her cute, floofy, hypnotic stare.
Only one, Poochie. Just one, Poochie.
Shoot.
Okay, here's another.



No comments:

Post a Comment